Highlights in summer
Excursions, sights and experiences
There is a lot to do. In Zell am See-Kaprun it will certainly not be boring. Is it the most panoramic mountain road in Europe, the highest and largest waterfalls in Austria, huge reservoirs surrounded by breathtaking mountains or art and culture in the stunning capital - we don't know what's the best thing, you should try everything!
GROSSGLOCKNER HIGH ALPINE ROAD
echnical masterpiece and one of the top 3 destinations in Austria, this is the Grossglockner High Alpine Road just around the corner from Zell am See. It was built and opened at the beginning of the 20th century and has lost nothing of its fascination to this day.
The road leads over 48 km and through 36 hairpin bends with spectacular views to the Fuscher Törl at over 2.500 m above sea level and on to the Pasterzen-glacier at Großglockner. Exhibitions, photo stops, huts, restaurants and beautiful hiking trails await you along the way.
HIGH MOUNTAIN RESERVOIRS KAPRUN
Far back in the Kaprun valley, a wonder world of nature and technology awaits interested visitors. After the end of the Second World War, the technological era began in the area Hohe Tauern with the construction of two massive reservoirs. Water, mountains and electricity create a breathtaking destination that is definitely worth a visit. Buses take you over a narrow road and the steepest elevator in the world into the high mountains, where information, exhibitions, hikes and mountain tours await you.
They are not only a world-famous natural spectacle, they are also healthy! The water ions, which are released when the water falls down into the valley, have a particularly positive effect on the respiratory tract. But first and foremost the Krimml Waterfalls are beautiful. Supplied by glaciers, the Krimmler Ache flows impressively over several steep steps into the valley. TIP: take the Pinzgau Railway to Krimml and "cruise" back to Zell am See by e-bike. A great day full of adventure and exercise in beautiful nature!
CITY OF SALZBURG
A distance of approx. 85 km and about an hour's drive will take you to the beautiful Mozart city of Salzburg. But that pays off, not only at the time of the world-famous Salzburg Festival. In Salzburg's old town, treasures of art and culture await you, such as the Hohensalzburg Fortress, the Festspielhaus or the Domquartier. In Getreidegasse you will find the birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and a popular shopping mile with shops, boutiques and cafes.
AND MUCH MORE:
- Großglockner High Alpine Road - 48 km driving fun and nature experience
- TOP SPOTS: Fuscher Törl, Edelweißspitze, Kaiser-Franz-Josefs-Höhe
- view on the highest mountain of Austria: Großglockner 3.789 m
- Hohe Tauern National Park - the largest protected area in the Eastern Alps
- guided ranger tours, wildlife observations, visitor centre Mittersill
- Kitzsteinhorn: TOP OF SALZBURG - Salzburg highest viewing platform
- Gipfelwelt 3000 - National Park Gallery and much more at over 3.000 m above sea level
- Krimml Waterfalls - 380 meters of wild water masses with healthy effects
- high mountain reservoirs Kaprun - 2.040 m above sea level, 120 m high dam wall, 2 reservoirs
- Art, Culture and Shopping Experience in the Mozart City Salzburg
You see, there is much to discover!
If you too would like to make the entire Zell am See-Kaprun region and the Salzburger Land your holiday experience, then book your summer holiday at the Hotel Grüner Baum today. For more information about your holiday, please do not hesitate to contact us, send us a non-binding enquiry or call us at +43 6542 771. We look forward to your visit!